Holy Family Catholic Church – 1899 Odin, KS
Holy Cross Church – 1918 Pfeifer, KS
Construction started on the Church in 1915 and it was dedicated on May 3, 1918. Known as the two-cent church, because families paid two cents for every bushel of wheat they produced to finance the construction. They also donated their time for labor, quarrying and delivering the stone.
Coming into town from the north, the church’s gothic tower soars above the wheat fields. The main tower is 165 feet tall, believed to be the tallest gothic spire in Kansas.
In 1993 the Catholic diocese dissolved the parish. The parishioners started the Holy Cross Charities, Inc a non-profit organization to preserve the majestic church. Donations can be mailed to:
Holy Cross Charities, Inc. PO Box 5 Pfeifer, KS 67660
Back view of the church and school.
Holy Cross Cemetery
This area of Kansas was settled by German speaking people from the Volga River area in southern Russia. Iron crosses are part of their heritage.
Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year