Daily Archives: June 2, 2015

Faris Caves, Ellsworth County, KS

The caves were constructed by Charles Griffee in the Dakota sandstone bluff along the lowlands of the Smoky Hill River in the 1880’s.  William and Winfield Faris purchased the land in 1893.  The caves were used as a spring house, generator room, living quarters,  and for a short time as a school house.

DSC01258

DSC01259

DSC01262

DSC01261