Daily Archives: September 14, 2015

Bichet School District 34, Florence, KS

There was a time in Kansas history, when a one room school house was built in almost every township, approximately 3 miles apart.  They stood on an acre of ground donated by a farmer and built with public funds.  Low enrollment and consolidation forced the closing of Kansas’ one room school houses in the 1950’s and 60’s.

The Bichet School District 34 was built in 1896.  Along with the one room school house, are two outhouses and a stone cave, all constructed of native limestone.  Two students were attending the Bichet School when it closed in 1946.  The school served the French settlement 4 miles east of Florence, KS.  The Bichet School District 34 is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.DSC01930DSC01933DSC02217DSC02212DSC01937DSC01929