Nicodemus is located in Graham County, KS named for the Biblical figure Nicodemus. A National Historical Site Nicodemus is the only remaining western town established by African-American following the Civil War. Founded in 1877 by a group of former slaves from Kentucky, the town prospered and supported a hotel, two stores, school, and three churches.
The town made an effort to attract a railroad route thru Nicodemus, but none of the railroads brought their tracts to the town. The failed attempt to attract a railroad marked the end of growth for the small town.
After being named a National Historical Landmark the community has seen some improvements, a water tower, paved streets and some housing units.
The Emancipation Celebration, has been renamed Homecoming and it is celebrated annually as a gathering of old residents to celebrate their roots and community. Current population is approximately 20.
First Baptist Church – 1907
District 1 Nicodemus School – 1918
Just south of the school is the home of:
Ola Wilson Home – School Teacher
African Methodist Episcopal Church – 1885
St. Francis Hotel
Two story stuccoed portion the hotel was built in 1881. Originally was cut limestone. Also served as the post office, the first school and a stage coach stop.
Township Hall – 1939
Main Street Nicodemus